Is your home REGISTERED LAND or RECORDED LAND? Do you know the difference? Don’t be surprised if you don’t. Learn what it is and how it affects your home buying and selling process in the latest episode of Ron’s Real Estate Minute!
There are differences between Registered Land and Recorded Land, and those differences can certainly impact the home buying and selling process. Here in MA we have registered land which accounts for 15% of all properties, with the remaining 85% of properties being recorded land.
A property that is “Registered” means the title for that property was certified by the state of MA with all the documents being registered at land court. A property becomes registered land when the land court of MA steps in to decide a dispute over any number of issues that can come up like encumbrances on a property, liens, and that ever so popular property line dispute between neighbors. These issues, once determined by the land court and registered with them, are finalized and can no longer be challenged going forward. Because of this, buyers of registered land have less concerns regarding the history of that property. So, you can see how that would be of value and important to a buyer.
Recorded land, the other 85% of properties in MA, simply means it was filed with the registry of deeds in your county. Even though the registry does ensure that the documents are all in proper recording format, there are just no additional guarantees or review of the property by the state of MA.
One important factor to remember, when you’re buying registered land or selling it, the process can actually take a little bit longer because the land court is involved and there’s an extra deep dive into the paperwork. Also, in the time of COVID, land court runs even slower than the typical registry of deeds, so you’ll want to adjust your closing times and financing dates appropriately.
If you have any questions or concerns about the differences between Registered Land and Recorded Land, or if you’d like to find out about a property you own or are looking to purchase, give us a call or send us an email, we’d be happy to help!
If we can help you with that move, please give us a call!
Prime Property Team at Keller Williams Realty 978-494-0346 RonCarpenito@kw.com
Got a quick Real Estate question? Send it to us today!
Moving On With Ron
Ron's Real Estate Minute
Home Selling Resources
|Complete Guide to Home Selling||Get a Free Consultation on Selling Your Home|
|How to Prepare Your Home for Sale|
|Find Out What Your Home is Worth||10 Tips to Selling Your Home|
Home Buying Resources
|Search Homes For Sale Now||View Open House List|
|Home Buying Process – A Complete Guide||7 Tips to Home Buyer Success|
|Free Home Buyer Consultation||Why You Need A Buyers Agent|